Find answers to some of our most frequently asked questions regarding financial issues below.

Sometimes it can be hard to know if the debt is yours or if it is the correct amount. It can get even more difficult if your debt was sold to a debt collector.

If you don’t think you owe the debt or it is incorrect you have the right to dispute the debt, contact VALS.

Learn more here.

Debt collector are not allowed to harass you, intimidate you, mislead you or take advantage of you. There are laws that protect you from this behaviour. 

Learn more here.

It is illegal for salesperson to put pressure on you or bully you into buying something. If you don’t want it don’t buy it. But I can be hard to say no sometimes. 

Try these tips:

  • Take time to think it over;
  • Keep the documents they give you as well as the receipt;
  • Contact VALS if you feel you’ve been taken advantage of.

Learn more here.

This is a challenging situation, and there have been a lot of changes to tenancy law since 29 March 2021.   

To learn about them. Read about these changes here: 

The VALS Civil and Human Rights practice acts for tenants facing eviction and those with problems around the condition of their property. If you need advice, help or representation, call us on 9418 5900.


If you have debts the law protects you from illegal behaviour from your creditors and debt collectors.

You have the right top:

  • Not to be discriminated against;
  • Have your privacy protected;
  • Get help from VALS or a Financial Counsellor;
  • Question the debt.
Learn more here.

If you have a phone debt you can apply for hardship. You need to contact your provider and ask about their hardship options.  

If you are still having trouble you can contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) ( 1800 062 058).

Find more information here.

If you owe money it is better that you take some action before legal action is taken against you. You might be eligible for hardship, government grants like the Utility Relief Grant, change the contract, negotiate a payment plan and return the goods (such as a car). If you receive a demand letter don’t sit on it, do something.

Learn more here.

If you can’t pay a bill, call your electricity, gas or water company. Explain the situation and ask how it can help.

Your company must help you. Your company should begin by giving you an extension or a payment plan to pay in installment amounts you can afford.

Learn more here.


273 High St, Preston VIC 3072

1800 064 865

Privacy Policy