On this page: This page outlines your rights and entitlements during an interview if you need an interpreter or have a disability

Interpreters, individuals with disabilities or individuals under 18

If you don’t understand English well, you can ask for an interpreter. The interpreter may come to a police station or talk with you over the phone. The police may only use the things you say while the interpreter is there for most offences. For drug offences or drinking offences, the police do not need to provide an interpreter

If you have a disability that makes it harder to remember, understand or communicate, there must be an independent person present. These people are qualified and act independently to support you.

If you are under 18 there must be a parent or guardian present during an interview, these are your rights, and they must be supported.

If you need help calls VALS on 1800 064 865