A parenting orders are enforceable orders of the Court. There are legal consequences for breaking parenting orders without a reasonable excuse.

If your circumstances change, you can make a parenting plan by agreement. That plan will override any parts of the order that are different to the plan.

If you are seeking to change parenting orders, and the other party does not agree, you will need to make application to the Court to vary the orders. The Court will not change parenting orders lightly and an application to vary is a complex area of law.

Speak to a lawyer about your options.

If you breach a parenting order, the other party can bring the matter back to court. This is a serious matter and can attract criminal penalties if you cannot show the Court that you had a ‘reasonable excuse’. Your lawyer will be able to advise you whether your circumstances constitute a reasonable excuse.