Parents are responsible for coming to an arrangement that meets the best interests of their children. There are a number of ways you can formalise parenting arrangements. 

If you agree, you can either enter into a parenting plan or file consent orders into Court. If you can’t agree, you must (in most cases) attempt mediation. If mediation fails, you can make application to the family courts for a judge to decide what is in the best interests of your children.