The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission (VEOHRC) is hosting a First Nations community consultation on racial and religious vilification and discrimination, with the support of VALS.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the lands that work on in what is now called Victoria. We pay our respects to Elders, past and present. We commit to honouring the knowledge and experience that you may wish to share with us.
First Nations people’s views and opinions from the consultation will feed into three projects that VEOHRC is currently undertaking:
- a research paper on the drivers of racial and religious vilification and effective prevention strategies.
- a guideline for workplaces to prevent and respond to racial discrimination.
- an options paper exploring a third party (community led) reporting mechanism to report vilification and hate crimes.
We are eager to hear from First Nations community members throughout Victoria on six questions:
- What do you think has worked well in past or current attempts to prevent hate speech?
- Where are you most concerned about hate speech and incitement (e.g., online, schools, work, in public)?
- What does workplace race discrimination look like?
- What could workplaces do to better prevent (and respond to) race discrimination?
- How effective are current tools for reporting racial and religious vilification?
- What would an improved community reporting tool look like and how could it increase confidence to report racial and religious vilification?
The consultation will be conducted in English. If participants feel unable to share their views in the consultation, they will be invited to email VEOHRC after the session.
You may also participate in our online survey which will be available in a number of languages. We will share the links with you once the survey is live. We will also share the links again at the roundtable.
Participants will be paid $50 gift card for their participation.
Date: Wednesday 20 December 2023
Time: 12-3 pm
Address: 273 High Street, Preston, VIC 3072
Lunch will be provided.